Monday, October 23, 2017

Ottawa skyline / L'horizon d'Ottawa




Recently on a bike ride, I stopped for a break at the Jacques Cartier Park to admire the view across the Ottawa River from Gatineau. After a while I began to sketch the scene in front of me but soon realized that I had drawn this same scene on a previous occasion, however from a different location with a different focus. Repeating a sketch really didn't bother me because I liked this scene and enjoyed the sort of meditative process of sketching it. In this sketch you can see a portion of the Rideau Falls (named by Samuel de Champlain in 1613), the original National Research Council building, and the old Ottawa City Hall with the embellishments that architect Moshe Safdie added in 1992-93.
Micron pen in a Moleskine sketchbook.

Récemment sur une balade à vélo, je me suis arrêté pour une pause au parc Jacques-Cartier pour admirer la vue sur la Rivière des Outaouais, de Gatineau. Au bout d'un moment, j'ai commencé à dessiner la scène devant moi mais je me suis vite rendu compte que j'avais dessiné cette même scène lors d'une précédente occasion, mais à partir d'un endroit différent avec un accent différent. La répétition d'un croquis vraiment ne me dérange pas parce que j'aimais cette scène et le processus méditatif de esquissant. Dans ce croquis, on peut voir une partie des chutes Rideau (nommées par Samuel de Champlain en 1613), l'édifice original du Conseil national de recherches et l'ancien hôtel de ville d'Ottawa avec les embellissements que l'architecte Moshe Safdie ajouta en 1992-1993.
Stylo Micron dans un carnet de croquis Moleskine.

No comments: