Sunday, November 24, 2013

Heron flying / Un héron qui vole


While working at the cottage recently, I found an interesting piece of birchbark that had fallen on the ground. I thought that a part of the bark looked like a oak tree on a small island. My imagination started to run away on me and I imagined all sorts of things that I could sketch on this small canvas. In the end, I felt that it would be appropriate to include one of the inhabitants of the lake in the composition - a great blue heron! 
I confess that I don't know how the watercolour will react to the bark; maybe I should have used some acrylic paint instead. Parts of the bark are flaking off, so I don't think that this painting is one for the ages.
Watercolour with Faber-Castell pitt pen on birchbark, 8.5 x 6 inches (20 x 15 cm)

Tout en travaillant au chalet récemment, j'ai trouvé une pièce de l'écorce de bouleau qui était tombé sur le sol. J'ai pensé qu'une partie de l'écorce ressemblait à un arbre de chêne sur une petite île. Mon imagination a commencé d'imaginer toutes sortes de choses que je pouvais esquisser sur cette petite toile. En fin de compte, je me suis senti qu'il serait approprié d'inclure l'un des habitants du lac dans la composition - un grand héron!
J'avoue que je ne sais pas comment l'aquarelle va réagir à l'écorce; peut-être que j'aurais dû utiliser de la peinture acrylique à la place. Certaines parties de l'écorce s'écaillent, donc je ne pense pas que cette peinture va durer longtemps.
Aquarelle avec stylo pitt de Faber-Castell sur écorce de bouleau, 8,5 x 6 pouces (20 x 15 cm)

1 comment:

Rene Fijten said...

This is absolutely great. On birch! What a fantastic effect. And I never expected the colours to come out so nicely.I'll have to find me a birch tree as well.
Looking at this painting, I feel you should try to do these kind of gritty textures more often, not only birch but maybe experiment with collage and spatters. It goes very well with your "klare lijn" style.