Thursday, October 10, 2013

Arles hospital courtyard / La cour de la maison de santé à Arles


While on my recent trip to France, I was privileged to visit the former hospital in Arles where Vincent van Gogh resided in December 1888 and January 1889. A number of things struck me as I walked in its courtyard. One of them was to imagine where exactly Vincent stood when he painted Garden of the Hospital in Arles (below).

Lors de mon récent voyage en France, j'ai eu le privilège de visiter l'ancien hôpital à Arles Vincent van Gogh a résidé en décembre 1888 et janvier 1889. Un certain nombre de choses m'a frappé pendant que je marchais dans sa cour. L'un d'eux était d'imaginer où exactement Vincent était quand il a peint Le jardin de la maison de santé à Arles (ci-dessous).


When I returned home, I made this watercolour painting from photos that I took when in the courtyard. This, I imagined, was the spot where he visualized his painting.

À mon retour, j'ai fait cette peinture d'aquarelle à partir de photos que j'ai prises quand j'étais dans la cour. Cela, je l'imaginais, était l'endroit où il a visualisé sa peinture.


Like most of my watercolour paintings, I began by creating a detailed pencil sketch of the composition.

Comme la plupart de mes peintures à l'aquarelle, j'ai commencé par la création d'un dessin au crayon détaillée de la composition.


I then erased some of my lines and began to add colour.

J'ai alors effacé certains de mes lignes et commencé à ajouter de la couleur.


During the process, I would refer to various photos that I took of the courtyard and van Gogh's painting.

Pendant le processus, je vérifierais diverses photos que j'ai prises de la cour et la peinture de Van Gogh.


While it may have been better to compose this painting on site in the courtyard, I certainly would not have had enough time and may have lost my concentration due to all the detail in the garden. I think that my compromise still captured the sense of that courtyard while allowing me the comfort of my home to complete the work. Any comments?

Bien qu'il aurait été mieux de composer ce tableau sur place dans la cour, je n'aurais certainement pas eu assez de temps de le faire, et peut-être j'aurais perdu ma concentration à cause de tous les détails dans le jardin. Je pense que mon compromis a capturé le sens de cette cour et m'a permis de compléter le travail dans le confort de ma maison. Commentaires?


2 comments:

Rene Fijten said...

Nice to see how you developed the painting. I have never been to Arles, it's high on my list-of-things-to-do-before-I-am-old.

Michael Lukyniuk said...

Arles has a lot of interesting sites to see. I would have enjoyed having more time to spend there.